Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Virginia Chapter Board Meeting Minutes - DRAFT
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Holiday Inn Select
PRESENT: Robert Clapp, Boyd Fletcher, Richard Gould, Rubyjean Gould, Robert Rubin, Leslie Tourigny, and Robert Weekley.
President Leslie Tourigny called the meeting to order at approximately 2:30 PM.
1. Agenda approval and update: The board approved the agenda.
2. August 17, 2008 Board Meeting Minutes: The board approved the minutes.
3. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Richard Gould reported that acting on a prior board direction; he had purchased a $5,000 CD at BB & T, which pays 4% interest over 25 months. As a result, the Chapter’s checking account balance as of September 27, 2008 is $6,000.
4. National Day of Prayer in Virginia Beach: Leslie reported that she had forwarded Bob Clapp’s report concerning the National Day of Prayer activities in Virginia Beach to AU National for review. There have been several e-mail exchanges and AU National is evaluating the matter to determine the appropriate action. Rubyjean described previous AU National involvement and follow on actions in 2006 concerning City of Portsmouth National Day of Prayer activities. She reported that as chapter president she had co-signed a letter with National and will share the letter sent to Portsmouth at that time.
5. AU Chapter Training November 8 - 9, 2008. Leslie will attend the NAC Meeting, training in D.C. Bob Weekley expressed an interest in attending as well, and Leslie promised to forward pertinent information. Bob Rubin indicated he might attend the training session.
1. December 6, 2008 Movie Afternoon. Leslie reported that she had not been successful in getting a commitment from the AU SC chapter president, Rev. Neal Jones or other SC chapter members who were parties in the South Carolina license plate case as speakers for the December general meeting. As a result, the board agreed to cancel the meeting.
2. January 25, 2009 General Membership Meeting. AU's Assistant Director of Communications and author Rob Boston will be the featured speaker for our January meeting. Rubyjean Gould stated that she had a carton of his books from several years ago and would bring them to the September General Meeting to whet the appetites of those present.
3. Spring 2009 General Meeting: The board agreed to pursue the South Carolina license plate case as a possible topic for this meeting.
4. Schedule next Board meeting: The next board meeting will follow the January 25, 2009 General Meeting.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 3:05 p.m.
Rubyjean Gould, Secretary
Approved at January 25, 2009 Board meeting
September 27, 2008