Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Virginia Chapter Meeting Minutes (Draft)
Saturday, June 11, 2011
Virginia Beach Central Library
Virginia Beach, Virginia
PRESENT: Richard Gould, Rubyjean Gould, David Hamilton, and Robert Weekley.
Acting chair David Hamilton called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m.
1. Agenda approval: David Hamilton delineated the meeting’s agenda as the regeneration of the Virginia Chapter. He identified the major objectives for the reconfigured chapter as special projects, clergy outreach, coalition building, flexible participation to engage students in special events, and use of web-based tools for outreach, i.e., Facebook to involve special interests. The attendees approved the agenda.
2. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Richard Gould reported that as of June 10, our local chapter has a balance of $7,487.52. $5,425.78 of the balance is in a CD bearing 4% that has rolled over after the October 8, 2010 redemption date.
1. Revised Bylaws Ratification: David reported that the distributed draft bylaws had been reviewed and approved by National AU. These bylaws represent chapter leadership with a steering committee of three to seven members led by a Chairperson. Others leadership positions are a Vice-Chairperson and Treasurer. The draft bylaws had been distributed to previous board members for review and comment. Attendees unanimously approved the bylaws. The new Virginia Chapter Bylaws will be published to the AU Virginia website at http://va-au.org.
2. Chapter Leadership: The slate of Chairperson: David Hamilton, Vice-Chairperson: Rubyjean Gould and Treasurer: Richard Gould was approved unanimously.
3. Meeting Schedule: Attendees agreed to a quarterly meeting schedule.
4. Chapter Focus: After some discussion, it was agreed that the focus of the chapter would be Virginia with the chapter serving as a state-wide host for visibility. Activities and events will be based on member geography and southeastern Virginia.
5. E-Tools: Members are encouraged to visit and use the Chapter web site and Facebook page for communication and contact. Use of a private WIKI for internal chapter planning and communication.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 11:45 a.m.
Rubyjean Gould, Vice Chairman